Friday, September 25, 2009

Adventures in Baby Sitting and a Fargo update

Adventures in Babysitting!

Emily and I had a chance to babysit Tobin for Brooke and Steve, he's 9 months old and pretty cute little kid. It was Steve's Birthday, so they wanted to head out to Oktoberfest. When we showed up Tobin was sleeping. So we chatted with them for a while got the low down on the procedures and how to take care of the little guy for a bit. Then they took off.
With Tobin asleep, and making out on the couch seeming to be a bit immature we turned to the TV. We could keep an eye on the little feller through the security system they were using as a baby monitor with audio and video with an infra-red lens so that you can see him in the dark, so it was easy to keep an eye on him. Our first major challenge was to come.
The TV was on BBC, or something like that, and we didn't want to watch it with there being College Football on but, we couldn't work the TV. This was a major stumbling block. They had a universal remote so the buttons were a bit confusing. I was pretty stressed out at this point. After some relocating and playing with the remote we got it figured out! We watched TV for a while then Tobin woke up.
He was a little confused when we got him out of his crib. He's met us before but wasn't 100% sure of us. We played with him on the floor with the stack of toys he's got. Helped him chew on some books. He was pretty entertained by the squeaky noise that a straw makes in a soda cup. He was giggling pretty good every time Emily would make the noise. Check it out!

Told ya he is cute. Sorry about the poor video, it's only a cell phone. We put him in his little push cart on the wood floor. He could move that thing at a pretty good clip! Had a diaper change and played some more but he was worn out and getting ready for bed. We got him into his jammies and around then Brooke and Steve got home. We let them put the little guy to bed and we took off. Pretty good time, Tobin is an easy kid to watch.

Fargo Update

I've been trying to get a front Proteur style rack on the Fargo and I finally got it all figured out. The fork on the Fargo isn't quite like most other forks and the racks I'd had weren't actually working out. So I finally started really rigging something up. Here is what I ended up with:


Looks pretty good and is pretty solid. The crux of the problem with the rack/Fargo interface was that they were both threaded and different diameters. So the post on the rack didn't fit the hole on the Fargo. So I had to rig something up. I ended up using the mount for the front fender. I ran the post on the rack through the mount and bolted them together, you can see that here:

Then I used a mount for an SPD cleat and bridged down from the back side of the fork to support the back side of the post, as you can see here:
The threaded post was angled more downward than where it hit the cleat part, so ther spacer is loaded in tension, which I think is good. I tried to put a spacer in there, but due the rivets on the fender it didn't fit. Then I used some clamps to mount the bottom of the rack to the fork, see:


It is also really close to the head tube, yikes!


It isn't the cleanest of mounts but it seems to be working. I'm gonna try it out and see how it does. My only concern is that I'll shear the fender mount, then I won't have a rack or a fender, fun stuff. Thanks for reading talk to you later.

P.S.
Went for a quick test ride, looks like it works!

mmmmm hoptoberfest. September is one of the better months for beer.

No comments: