Wednesday, June 18, 2008

POSram Crank Rant

***UPDATE***
So I pulled all the washers out of the system that weren't needed and put the whole thing back together. It seams to be working pretty well now. Got 50 miles in on it and felt good so I think I have it pretty well dialed in. Thanks for your concern.
***UPDATE***

So, most of you don't know that I have Sram Force Crank set. I doubt that any of you are as disappointed with it as I am. Being who I am and that I am superior to instruction manuals I put the crank on all by myself. It was great for a while. Then my knee started hurting. So I found that the drive side crank was 1/8" closer to the frame than the non-drive one (I am going to double check this again). Not a big deal, until your hip and ankle are fighting about where you leg goes. Just so you know your knee looses. So I went to my LBS (Local Bike Shop), mine happens to be former employer Golden Bear Bikes. My old roommate Tyler had some parts and suggestions for me. Back into the garage I crawled. After several attempts and a few chunks of fragile precious carbon fiber removed I again tucked my tail and sought answers. None were to be found on the Internet so I acquired a phone number for the saviors, so I thought, at Sram technical support. I was told there is absolutely nothing I could do to fix my problem and that there is no way to adjust the crank to meet the spec's that Sram defines. As an engineer I find this to be, well, infuriating. So, back together the crank shall go. I'll remeasure to verify if there is a discrepancy. Also the alignment of the frame comes into question as well and will be checked. Whew. Ok, I feel a lot better. Thanks for listening to that

In an update to the FGI I haven't driven my car all week. I figured out a way to get all my FF gear in the trailer for my bike and can take it to the fire house for my scheduled crews. Me and the trailer even survived a slight creek crossing. The route needs a bit of a tweak, sometimes the lake is there sometimes not, yesterday it was along with it's feeder creek. Still working on the compost bin thing, got some education coming down the pike on that.

No comments: