Monday, May 3, 2010

!!!Cycling caps!!!

Hey All,
Not sure if you are aware or not, most of you probably are, but cyclist wear special hats sometimes. They are surprisingly expesive and having the right head coverage is pretty nice. So I decided to make my own cycling cap. Well, I am done with version 1.0. Here are some pictures of me wearing it.
As you can see by my face, to steal a term from Bikesnobny.com, I am a bit non-plussed. This could be based on my own critical self assesment of my own handy-work, or becuase I do not enjoy getting my picture taken. (As a side note this could be one fringe benefit of the little one cause my wifes current contractions comming along, as most people will want to take Taters picture and not mine.) I think it's truely a combination of both.
As you may be able to see in the picture, the bill is a bit on the small side. It should be noted that I have a really small head, so if the bill looks little on me, a real person would just look well, silly. So that is one thing to fix. I was happy with how the chunk of Orange Juice bottle I used to stiffen the bill worked however. The hat also sits rather high on my head. Again impressive due to the size of my tiny head. I think Tater will be wearing the hat pretty soon. I think this is due to the fact that I used too much of the bottom of the hat as the hem, easily corrected. What you may not be able to tell is that I got the bill on crooked, or off center, or insert fancy sewing term for stuff in the wrong spot. I think I can fix the hem height and the crooked bill by pulling the stetches holding both in place and trying again. Measuring, well anything, would probably help on version 1.1 coming out the right size and centered. It's just a guess. Here are some close ups of the hat, with out me.



From these more detailed images you can see that my abilty to sew in a straightish line is not so good. However, sewing articstic curvey random organic shapes is fully developed for so early in my sewing career.
But, all the jokes aside, I have actually been wearing the hat whilst writing this blog. Which is honestly better than I thought I would do for my first try. James and Hill gave me some wool to make more hats out of. I've got two weights of wool to play with and I think version 2.0 and 3.0 will be better. With any luck good ole #7 will be a good version, most likely in black and white. I also think a bit of elastic in the back will help with fit. Also a version with a fold down ear flap would be stellar. Thanks for reading.
Jon.
P.S. Emily still hasn't had the Baby. I have to admit, I'm kind of hoping Tater makes his/her debut at 3:31 AM on the 12th. If you check out the baby pool, you'll know why. Later.















3 comments:

Jenn said...

Very impressive! I think you and your not-so-straightish lines may have a future in free motion quilting!
But seriously - it takes a real man to sew his own clothing! :)

Deb O said...

Hey, sewing is a practiced skill. keep on trying. glad to see you have gone for the first attempt. and by the way, Tater best not arrive on the 12th, how about much sooner!

Anonymous said...

Remember when I made that sarcastic post in response to a request from Schmidt where I had to find a picture on the internet of the biggest dork I could find (I found that guy from the LARP site in Colorado Springs: http://www.realmsoftracon.com/people/edgar/edgar.html)?
I don't think I'll have to look that hard next time.

Underwood